God Burns Time

Thursday, June 30, 2005

View of God = Your Expression

There is a saying that people become like the God in which they worship.

I think this is true whether you worship a being or not. I think it derives from our view of God. Or rather our imposed view of God, whether we impose it on ourselves or it is imposed upon us. Going deeper down it is perhaps that in which we trust, have faith in, if you will.

If my view of God is a hardnosed punctilious accountant type weighing every action and deriving love and merit based upon the created's performance, then most likely that is how I will treat myself and will be my expectations of others. I will become like the god in which I worship. It is a trust in that which you fear. Your mindset, your viewpoint, your understanding has become your god in which you serve. It is a religion, a self produced god in which you serve in drudgery and fetid, onerous, resigned obedience.

You either become like the god in which you fear or you express the God in which you love. One is the prison of an illusion and the other is freedom of the ultimate reality. We are merely vessels. We either express the vacuous emptiness of a self apart from God and all that is ugly and of sin OR we express the dynamic loving gracious merciful God in Christ in whom we live and move and have our existence.